Friday, January 4, 2008

Arms

Tonight was a really good night. Matt called and was unable to make it due to an unforeseen push at work. No worries. I've come to find that arms is the one lifting day where a partner is very motivational, but not critical for things like safety.

We've been trying out a different type of lifting lately, and I think I like it. Instead of going for maximum weights, we're dropping the weight, doing deeper movements through the range of motion, focusing strongly on correct form and technique, and slowing down the movement a lot. For some movements, I've started seeing how slowly I can go both on the positive and negative components of the cycle. It's amazing how challenging that is, and afterward, I feel like I've taxed the muscles far more thoroughly and evenly.

I think one secret to good arm workouts is to pay close attention to the placement of the elbows, the inner/outer rotation of the arm in the shoulder socket, and the fulcrumatic point chosen for the exercises. The machine exercises largely dictate the fulcrum, but you can rotate the arms with variance. The free weights require mindfulness of all these things. It's worth the added cognitive demand, I think.

So, here's tonight's rundown:


Friday, January 4, 2008 - Arms




































Elliptical 7:34 / 1.0 miles
Skull crushers (F) 70 x 10 x 4
Bicep curl (M) 100 x 10 x 3
Triceps push downs (M) 115 x 10 : 95 x 10 x 2
Dumbbell bicep curl, standing (F) 27.5 x 10 x 3
Dumbbell hammer curl, standing (F) 27.5 x 10 x 3
Lateral raise (M) 70 x 10 x 3
Barbell wrist curls, palm up 65 x 12 x 2
Barbell wrist curls, palm down 65 x 12 : 65 x 6



No comments: